Loading...

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Get out of the Booth

Fans and people in the media have been giving the U.S. Soccer Federation a hard time for renewing coach Bob Bradley's contract but I ask the question besides Jurgen Klinsmann who else does the U.S. Federation have to pick from?  I will give you some time to think about it. Still thinking? Yeah me too but I think I have an answer to the coaching trouble that the Federation is dealing with. In order for U.S. Soccer to take the next step in the world of soccer we need our best players from years past to get out of the booth and on to the sideline. John Harkes I'm talking to you, Alexis Lalas I'm talking to you, Eric Wynalda I'm talking to you, Marcelo Balboa I'm talking to you.  I'm writing to you and asking for your guys help.  U.S. Soccer needs you.

I look at some of the soccer powers in the world and I see all the great ex-players that have become coaches and I wonder why can't our players do the same? Ladies and gents Diego Maradona, arguably the world's best player, put his reputation on the line to become the coach of Argentina. Laurent Blanc once a great player in his own right is now the coach for France. And we all know about Jurgen Klinsmann who coached Germany.  So I ask the question where are our great ex-players? Well the answer can be found in the commentator booth.

We need our top players to get out of the booth and become coaches. It's easy for guys like Harkes and Lalas to sit in the booth and talk about all the problems U.S. Soccer has but it's another thing to do something about it.  I only hope they are not scared to put their reputation on the line like so many other great players in other countries have done. There comes a time when you have to either put up or shut up and I hope these guys choose to step up.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Chris. I don't know if you remember me, Paul Buckle, played with your bro for forever growing up. Anyways, I completely agree with everything you said here. Maybe you should coach one day! Good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Paul, hope all is well. Thanks for reading

    ReplyDelete